Property bands

Every domestic property has a Council Tax band and your home has been allocated to one of eight bands according to its market value at 1 April 1991. The price of your home today is therefore not a good guide as to what your band should be. Your bill will state which band applies to your home.

The amount of Council Tax due for properties in each band is shown in the table below. The council does not decide what band your home should be in. This is done by the Valuation Office Agency who are part of the Inland Revenue. You can check the valuation band of your own home and other properties by using the Council Tax banding checking service provided by the Valuation Office Agency.

Council Tax Property Bands
 Band Market Value Range of Property(as at 1 April 1991) Council Tax Payable - 2014/15
 A  Up to £40,000  £876.77
 B  Over £40,000 and up to £52,000  £1022.91
 C  Over £52,000 and up to £68,000  £1169.04
 D  Over £68,000 and up to £88,000  £1315.17
 E  Over £88,000 and up to £120,000  £1607.42
 F  Over £120,000 and up to £160,000  £1899.68
 G  Over £160,000 and up to £320,000  £2191.94
H Exceeding £320,000 £2630.34


How to appeal

In certain circumstances you can appeal against a valuation banding. This may be for the following reasons:

If you believe the banding of your property should be changed because of a material reduction in its value. This may result from a part of your property being demolished, a change in the physical state of your local area, or adapting a property to make it suitable for someone with a physical disability to use. In these cases, revaluing your property should take place as soon as possible

If you start or stop using part of your home to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes

If the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by the taxpayer

If you become the taxpayer for a property for the first time. You must make the appeal within six months, but if the grounds for the same appeal have already been considered and determined by a valuation tribunal, it cannot be made again

All enquiries regarding Council Tax valuations are dealt with by the Valuation Office Agency. If you have any questions concerning a banding appeal you should contact them directly. The address is provided at the bottom of the page

If you have appealed against a valuation and are waiting to learn the decision, you will still have to pay instalments according to the Council Tax bill that we have sent you. However, if an appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any Council Tax you have overpaid.

For more information please contact:

The Listing Officer
Valuation Office Agency
Portland Tower
Portland Street
M1 3LD


Telephone: 03000 501 501