Trafford Housing Needs Assessment (HNA) 2019
The Trafford Housing Needs Assessment (HNA) 2019 provides the latest available evidence to help to shape the future housing and related strategies and policies of the area. This study will complement the Greater Manchester (GM) Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) by providing detailed local information and support the development of the new local plan.
The HNA findings will also be used to inform resource allocation to deliver the existing Trafford Housing Strategy Action Plan 2018-23 and, to evidence future planning and spending priorities of housing resources. It considers the need for affordable housing and the size, type and tenure of housing need for specific groups within the borough. This research provides an up-to-date analysis of the social, economic, housing and demographic characteristics of the area.
A summary of the key findings from the Assessment are:
- In 2019, there were 101,736 dwellings in Trafford with 2,428 not occupied.
- 68.9% of the dwellings were owner-occupied, 17.2% affordable and 13.9% private rented/living rent free.
- Average house prices in Trafford are considerably higher than other areas in GM at £260k compared to £154k in GM overall.
- Population in Trafford is projected to increase by 9.1% up to 2037 with the 65+ age group increasing by 38.2%.
- In 2019, 64.4% of the households were in employment or training, 26.7% retired and 1.3% unemployed.
- 1,015 new homes are required to be built each year up to 2037 with 382 of these new homes being affordable.
- Analysis assumes that 1,015 dwellings would be built each year and overall 60% are market and 40% are affordable.
- It is estimated that 21.1% of all residents have an illness/disability and this is expected to increase to 22.8% by 2037.
You can download a copy of the report here.
A set of housing propositions have been developed for each area in Trafford linked to the Housing Need & Demand Assessment which was completed in 2019. They establish the appropriate number, level and type of new homes needed in each of Trafford’s places in order to rebalance the market and provide accurate information on the appropriate mix, type and location for affordable housing.
The housing propositions have been developed for each area in Trafford, the information is taken from the Housing Need & Demand Assessment which was completed in 2019. They establish the appropriate number, level and type of new homes needed in each of Trafford’s places in order to rebalance the market and provide accurate information on the appropriate mix, type and location for affordable housing.
These propositions will help inform and shape the development of both the Local Plan and in turn future development itself.
The Trafford Housing Needs Assessment considers the housing need of specific groups within the borough such as older people, black and minority ethnic communities and people with disabilities. There is also extensive information contained in the assessment on current affordable housing provision and the need for new affordable housing across Trafford borough. This information is contained in the following subject specific factsheets:
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com