Street collections licence

If you are intending to carry out a Charitable Street Collection within Trafford, you will require a permit from Trafford Council's Licensing Section.

A Collection, which is conducted on the street, where money is being collected from members of the public requires a permit from the Council. We cannot permit you for collections on privately owned land but do have a voluntary agreement with some supermarkets and shopping malls where money is collected for charitable purposes. This being that the collection will only take place with a permit issued by the Council.

Who may apply for a licence?

A person, society, committee or other body wishing to promote a collection for charitable purposes.

How will my application be evaluated?

The Council restricts collections to one collection per area of the Borough per calendar year per charitable organisation and on Saturday's only. In order to monitor collections we operate a diary system to record what collections have been approved and what dates are still available. In the first instance you should contact the Licensing Office to discuss booking a collection date and for guidance on the regulations. Once a date has been agreed you should complete the necessary application form.

Applications must be on the prescribed form and accompanied by:

  • particulars of any contracts with any charity which is to benefit from the collection
  • bank account no. into which the collection will be paid and name of bank
  • accounts for the last financial year (audited if possible) or link to website showing accounts
  • literature about organisation(s) who will benefit or link to website
  • written permission to collect on the charity's behalf

After the collection has taken place you will be required to complete a financial return form giving details of the total amount collected and the amount used for expenses. This form must be returned to us within one month of the collection.

Apply online

Advertising the application

The application does not need to be advertised.

How much does it cost?

There is no fee for a street collection permit.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us at the end of 28 days.

What if the application is refused?

Please contact our Licensing section in the first instance.

If the application is refused you may request a review of the decision. You may request a review by writing to the Licensing Office.

We will immediately arrange for a review of the decision by the appropriate sub-committee. We will give notice in writing of our decision following the review, stating our reasons for that decision and the date from which it takes effect.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided to us for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information on data matching to prevent and detect fraud and corruption see the Council's Level 2 National Fraud Initiative Privacy Notice. For further information you can also refer to Trafford Council’s own Privacy Notices.