There are four categories of children of compulsory school age living in Trafford and attending their nearest qualifying school who are eligible for free travel assistance:
Children who live outside the statutory walking distance
Children registered at a school outside walking distance where no suitable arrangements have been made for them to attend a nearer school or for boarding at or near the school. Statutory walking distance is:
- 2 miles for children under the age of 8
- 3 miles for children and young people aged 8 to 16
Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) or a mobility difficulty
Children registered at a school within statutory walking distance of their home but who cannot reasonably be expected to walk to school, because of their special education needs and disabilities (SEND) or mobility difficulty, and no suitable arrangements have been made for them to attend a nearer school.
Children whose route to school is unsafe
Children registered at a school within statutory walking distance of their home but having regard to the nature of the route cannot reasonably be expected to walk, and no suitable arrangements have been made for them to attend a nearer school.
Children from low income families (extended rights apply)
Children who receive free school meals or their parent/carers are in receipt of the maximum amount of working tax credit if:
- they are registered at a qualifying school more than 2 miles from home (for children aged 8-11)
- they are registered at a qualifying school between 2 and 6 miles from home and there are not three or more suitable qualifying schools nearer to their home (for children aged 11-16)
- they are registered at a school between 2 and 15 miles from home which is the nearest qualifying school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief (for children aged 11-16)
If there are suitable travel arrangements in either direction between their home and school provided free of charge by any other person, a child will not be eligible for travel assistance.
We also provide discretionary travel assistance to other children in certain circumstances