Travel support from schools and colleges

School buses

If you attend a sixth form at a secondary school, you may want to check if there are any school bus options suitable for sixth form age pupils. See school bus services for timetables for each local authority area in Greater Manchester.

The 16 to 19 bursary fund

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and:

  • studying at a publicly funded school or college in England - not a university
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience

A publicly funded school is one that does not charge you for attending it.

There are 2 types of bursaries.

Bursary for students in vulnerable groups

You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:

  • you’re in or have recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit

Discretionary bursary

Your school or college will have their own criteria for discretionary bursaries. They’ll look at your individual circumstances - this usually includes your family income. Ask student services about their criteria and any evidence you’ll need.

You can apply to a discretionary bursary if you’re age 16 to 18. You can also apply if you are 19 or over if you’re either:

  • continuing on a course you started aged 16 to 18
  • have an education, health and care (EHC) plan

Apply to your school, college or training provider. Ask student services or your tutor to explain what you need to do.

For further information see 16-19 bursary fund.

Care to learn – for young parents

If you are a young parent under 20 studying on a publicly funded course, Care to learn can help pay for your childcare and related travel costs while you’re learning. You could receive up to £160 per child per week to help with the cost of:

  • childcare, including deposit and registration fees
  • a childcare ‘taster’ session (up to 5 days)
  • keeping your childcare place over the summer holidays
  • taking your child to the childcare provider

The childcare provider must be Ofsted registered and they will be paid directly for childcare costs. Payments for travel costs go to your school or college - they’ll either pay you or arrange travel for you.

For further information and to apply online, see care to learn.