Nationality checking service
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) is a partnership between UK Visas and Immigration and some local authorities in England and Wales.
If you are applying for British citizenship you can come to us in person and for a small fee we will:
- Check that your application form has been correctly completed.
- Check and provide certified copies of your supporting documents.
- Send your application to the Home Office by special delivery post.
Frequently asked questions
Why should I use this service?Back To Top
The NCS is not a 'fast-track' application service, but applications which have been completed properly with the required documents tend to be dealt with more quickly.
Your documents are photocopied and certified, which means that you will be able to retain your original documents, like your passport, birth certificate etc.
Joint Citizenship and Passport application serviceBack To Top
You are now able to apply for your UK passport at the same time as your citizenship application.
This easy, efficient service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office. If your citizenship application is successful and a ceremony is attended, your new passport will be dispatched to your home.
If you choose to use the Joint citizenship and passport application service, please follow the steps below when filling out your passport application:
- complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete section 10. Referees details will be taken from your citizenship application
- the photographs you submit with both applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. You do not need to have these photos certified.
- section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of application, you must attend the appointment in person
- section 2 - do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- section 4 - grandparents’ details are not required
- you must complete the payment mandate on Page 25 of the application guidance. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box.
If you are unsure about any requirements, leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
The service costs an additional £10.50 per applicant.
Do I need to make an appointment?Back To Top
Yes. To book an appointment please contact:
The Nationality Checking Service Team
Trafford Register Office
Sale Town Hall
Telephone: 0161 912 3026
Do I have to pay for the checking service?Back To Top
Yes, please see our fees and charges page for further details.
Do I have to use the Trafford Council NCS?Back To Top
No. You may still choose to forward your application directly to the Home Office yourself or to use a solicitor or other agent if you wish.
How do I get a citizenship application form?Back To Top
You can also download the application form from the Home Office website.
Does the Register Office give advice about nationality?Back To Top
The Register Office will not be able to provide advice on nationality matters. For this kind of information please contact the Home Office (details above) or log onto the OISC website to find a local adviser.