How to join the library
There are two ways you can join the library:
What happens next?
- You will be given a library card that can be used in any Trafford library.
- You will also be given a PIN. You will be able to log in to your borrower account from our online catalogue using your borrower number (without the TRP) and PIN.
What can I do with my card?
- Under 13 - you can borrow up to 20 books and 4 audio books.
- 13 and upwards - you can borrow up to 20 books and 4 audio books. All customers may borrow more at the discretion of staff.
- You can use your card to book sessions on the People's Network computers at any library, by phone or online. Read more about computer and Internet access in our libraries.
- You can use your borrower card number (without the TRP) and PIN to log in to your borrower account.
- You can download up to 5 eBooks from Borrowbox and e-magazines free of charge from RBdigital. You will need to use your borrower number (without the TRP) to create accounts for these online services.
Is there a charge for borrowing items?
- There is no charge for borrowing books or talking books.
- Customers with a declared disability will be charged 50% of the current rate for audio-visual loans.
How long can I keep items?
- You can keep books and talking books for three weeks. You can renew books eight times unless there are any reservations for them.
What happens if I lose or damage an item?
Please do not worry if this happens. Inform a member of staff immediately but bear in mind that you may be asked to pay a replacement charge.
What happens if I don't return items on time?
In most cases, if you do not return items on time, you will have to pay an overdue charge - please see the current list of library charges. If there is a valid reason for returning your books late, e.g. if you have been ill, please let staff know.
- If you don't return items, despite receiving reminders, or fail to pay outstanding fines, your membership will be suspended, pending further action.
To avoid having to pay overdue charges please return items on time or renew for a further loan period. Books can be renewed eight times.
What happens if my card is lost, stolen or damaged?
Please contact any library if you lose your library card or if it is stolen or damaged.
- Adults have to pay a charge of £2 to replace their borrower card.
- Under 16s are not charged for their first replacement card but there will be a charge of £1 for further replacements.
- Please remember that you are responsible for your library card and for any items borrowed. Please do not lend your card to anyone else.
What do I need to do if I change address?
Please email email@example.com, call us or drop in to any of our local libraries.
What do I need to do if I change my email address?
If you change your email address, please tell us by completing a change of address notification form.
If you wish to comment on our service, or simply wish to make a suggestion that may improve any of the services that we offer, please complete our online comments form. Alternatively, you can fill in a comments card, usually located near the library counter, and post it in the box provided.